Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mason Lake 2: Yuck

 I think I can finally feel my toes again.

It was pouring rain and cold - 41ish.  The field was smaller today, probably only 10 women and 10 men, and a lot of people dropped out.  My legs were feeling pretty zapped because I did TT intervals yesterday in an effort to get ready for the upcoming stage races or something like that.  About halfway into the first lap, my glasses started fogging up, so I took them off, but there was still a lot of road spray and I couldn't see ANYTHING!  During the 2nd lap, a deluge of water went into my shoes and my feet were suddenly soaked.  My hands quickly followed suit, and by lap 3, they were pretty frozen.  I started thinking of ways that I could crash so that I wouldn't have to race anymore, but none of my options seemed very appealing, so I stuck to it.  

Jen, Tricia from Wines (who won last week), some random Idaho girl, and I got in a breakaway, but the men chased us down.  Some yelling ensued, but it felt like I was in a parallel universe because I couldn't understand what was going on or why there was so much yelling.  I've been reading Into Thin Air, and I felt like one of the dudes stranded on Everest where nothing really made sense.  This happened a few other times when the officials came to yell at us but I have no idea why.  Rain clouds my brain.  

So then on the last lap, Tricia attacked again.  My legs were pretty dead at this point but I went with her and so did the Idaho girl.  We worked together until the end, and I couldn't feel my hands at all.  I had nothing in my legs, so I just waited for the finish.  The other two looked pretty dead too, but I slowed my breathing and pretended like I felt ok.  I launched my sprint a little too early, and I got a gap on Tricia.  I had her at 200m, but then I promptly died, and she passed me. :( I got 2nd again, but I was a lot closer this time!  We even beat the men!  Jen did well, too, winning the the field sprint and coming in 4th.  

Looks like tomorrow may be worse!

No comments: