Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 2 or 6 depending on how you look at it

Well it's the 2nd week of school and my 6th week post op. My hip seems to be improving. Walking around campus last week was really painful, but this week it's not as painful.

The weird thing is that riding the bike seems to make it hurt more. My theory is that when I ride the bike, both legs work equally, so the left leg (the one operated on) thinks it is fine. Then when I try to walk afterward, my brain thinks that leg is fine, so I try to walk like normal, but then it hurts because the range of motion is still limited on that leg. It is similar after pool walking, too, but not as severe.

Part of me is slightly panicking as I realize that I am in graduate school and actually deciding on a career path. I feel like I am limiting myself, and I keep wondering about all the other things I could be doing. I like school, and I think it is interesting, but I still wonder.

I am also learning in my classes, though, that constraints are what allow systems to function well. Without constraints, people don't know what to do. Ex. great art work comes out of constraint, either constraint of materials or constraint of the artist's situation. Another ex. Professors can't hand out a blank school assignment. It needs to have constraints so the students know what to write about.

So, as a whole, I keep reminding myself that constraint is good and that something good will come of this.

No comments: