Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Don't Ask, Don't Tell Realm of Medicine


I started acupuncture a few weeks ago as a last ditch effort to make my hip feel better. I think it is working.

I tried acupuncture last year when my back was hurting, but I wasn't convinced, and I didn't go back. The acupuncturist that I've been seeing lately is a bit more convincing. He talks about trusses and structures and mechanics, not blood lines and energy.

He also leaves little needles in my hip for the whole week. They are itty bitty needles, sort of like thumb tacks, with bandaids covering them. Sometimes if I move too quickly, they hurt. And they itch a little bit, probably because I'm allergic to bandaid adhesive.

But I think it is working. I was able to walk more this week, and I was in a lot less pain than usual. My hip has been tender to the touch ever since surgery, and this is the first week that it is not tender.

I don't really care about justifying why it works. I just want it to work. I don't think it's placebo, though. I've wanted a lot of things to work this past year. I am starting to feel antsy and lazy, which I think is a good sign. Being in pain for over a year is tiring and stress-inducing, but I think that stress is finally lifting. The acupuncturist told me not to do anything different these first few weeks, and it's taken a lot of effort to not try to ride my bike. Next week, I tell myself.

I am finally being forced to commit to things in my life, with regard to school and this new profession. This feels weird and makes me squirm a bit, but if I squirm too much, the needles hurt. Good needles. Keep me in check.

No comments: