The race was going well. The first lap was a little strange because I didn't pre-ride the course, and I was having trouble getting into a rhythm with the switches between dirt and pavement. On the second lap, I was feeling better, and I was just sitting in the pack feeling fine. On the third lap, we hit the first dirt section, and about halfway into it, 2 girls crashed in front of me. I got around them, but I swerved too much on the gravel and I lost my traction. I crashed, but luckily, I only hit my knee on the ground, and I only have one small patch of road rash.
It was scary, though, because the first girl to go down hit the ground really hard. There was a huge pool of blood next to her head and for awhile she was not responding. By the time help arrived, she was at least conscious and she could feel her legs. I heard through the grape vine that she is in the hospital and in stable condition. Stuff like that makes me not like bike racing so much. I'm surprisingly not too shaken up by it. I hope she gets better quickly!
I was able to get back on my bike and finish the last lap, most if which I rode with Scott because he stopped to help. I guess there were 2 priority health women riding behind me up to the finish. I didn't even know they were there because I had pretty much given up on racing at that point, but they sprinted past me at the line. Kind of rude I thought especially because one of them made Scott and I wait to help her fix her bike but whatever.
The saddest part is my ripped bar tape. This was one-of-a-kind, Nashbar discount bin bar tape, and it is now broken. Thus, I shall continue playing the world's smallest violin. *rubs thumb and index finger together*
No comments:
Post a Comment