Monday, April 7, 2008

Sketch City

I felt off this weekend at the Marian and Purdue races.  I'm not sure if it was from being tired, nervous, or a combination, but my bike handling just felt off.

The crit on Saturday was super sketchy.  There were 3 crashes during the race, one of which was right in front of me (there are rarely crashes in women's races).  It was also about double the field size of the crits I've done.  Some of the corners were sharp, and I over-braked throughout the whole race but still stayed with the pack (in the back because I was having trouble drafting due to my over-braking).  I got some prime points, and I think I finished near the top 10.  Not too bad considering that my biggest focus was staying upright.  With my neck injury, crashing would not have been good.

Sunday was much better.  I was still feeling a little off and I was having some trouble riding in the pack of about 30 riders, but luckily, it broke up pretty quickly.  It was a short 20 mile race with 5 laps and a big hill on each lap (but we did the hill 6 times).  Someone attacked on the second lap, and I found myself in a 6 person breakaway.  I was feeling pretty good, but I got forced into pulling at the bottom of the hill.  A Wisconsin girl accelerated in the middle of the hill, and I gave her too much of a gap.  I started accelerating towards the top and I was really gaining on her, but the finish line came up too quickly.  I shouldn't complain about 2nd place, but the more I think about it, the more it eats away at me.  So close!

I'm still torn over triathlon nationals vs. cycling regionals, but I made my decision to do tri nats.  It's still eating away at me, along with my 2nd place finish.  Oh how it stings.

No comments: